Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Sideshow

The Sideshow

A friend of mine asked me to review this site as she thought it to be worthwhile to get some exposure for The Sideshow. If you are looking for a place that has everything a left leaning, card carrying Democrat could ever want, then I suggest you make The Sideshow your own personal playground.

This is one hell of a concise blog. The owner posts her opinions and musings of the day. Whether I agree with her politics or not her posts always have links to back up her opinions.

Additionally she has one of the most comprehensive lists of resources that I have ever seen. It must have taken her days to put all those links up there and kudos for having such a compendium of information.

I also like her writing style. She doesn't mince words and gets to the point without nuance. One other feature that I like about her site is the little checkbox in the upper right hand corner. If you check the box, then every link you click will open in a new window. There is nothing I hate more than websites or blogs that think they need to keep you on their page. It shows poor design and lacks critical thinking. If you don't open into a new window and you start boring into several pages of whatever site you are on, it is a huge pain in the butt to get back to the original page. When a link opens into a new page, your original page stays there and then a person can easily just go back to that window. I like The Sideshow. Good job!

My rating for this site 4.5 nyuks :)




1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Avedon said...

Thanks!

I stole the "Check box to open new browser windows for links" thingy from Patrick Nielsen Hayden's blog Electrolite (back before it merged with Making Light), and Atrios stole it from me.

I've been doing The Sideshow since November of 2001, so the blogroll has been a continuous work in progress. Originally, there might have been no more than about 15 or 20 links on it. In those days, there were very few liberal blogs, and just a few boards and sites that weren't really blogs in the modern sense, so setting up the blogroll didn't take much work to start with. Once I'd bugged Atrios to start a blog, he seemed to generage more and more people who wanted to start their own. So most of those links have been added slowly over time.

The trouble with that sidebar is that it loads the page up with code, counteracting the advantage I had in simplicity by not using any blogging software and having a page that was constructed in Notepad. (These days I have upgraded to TextPad, of course.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home